Saturday, June 12, 2010

We are moving

So...we are moving to Berlin. Actually doing it! My parents always fantasize about moving to somewhere in some foreign country, always looking at apartments in France, Mexico or Italy. But now...we really are moving to Germany, and nothing will stop us.
When i think about it, waves of different emotions crash down on me. First of all, there's exitement. I get to live in a big city, where things are constantly opening up to explore! I will miss my friends dearly. I'm already missing Julia, who had to leave for Italy/summer camp and won't return until after we have departed. I am dreading saying goodbye to all my friends and family, but I'm sure we'll keep in touch via Facebook, e-mail and Skype. But I'm also nervous, and scared. Berlin's a big city, filled with strangers speaking a language I don't even have a clue about! I'll be going to some school were there's all sorts of kids, speaking different languages and learning different things. Well actually, I don't know what school I'm going to yet. It could be some nice bilinguel school where half the day is taught in German, the other half in English or, I might not get into one of those and have to go to a traditional, German-speaking school. Who really knows? That's what this is all about. We don't know where we're gonna live, who we're going to be, what we're gonna do or how we're going to do it! It's an adventure, and I am ready for it! (I think)

3 comments:

  1. it's gonna be amazing, Lydia! we are so excited to visit you in Berlin in the spring - and you can show us all your favorite haunts. we love you! xo N, J, & V!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia we are sharing this blog with our German friends: Rita, Gert and their daughter Laura. I hope you can meet them because they are some of the most wonderful people in the world. We have many friends in Deutchland and we are telling them all to look out for the Thompsons. Bon Voyage, look out Berlin. Yee Hah. Love, Sara, Chip, Max and Lene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia,

    Travel is always an exciting and scary adventure at the same time. It will definitely be a culture shock. There will be times when it will feel miserable and times when you will have to pinch yourself to remind you that you really are living in a different country. Overall though, I think it will be an amazing experience for you. Keep writing about it, daily, either here or in a handwritten journal. You will treasure those memories for years to come. I am looking forward to following along on your experiences through this blog. - Anjula (Upper El is my blog name for the reading blog and I am not quite sure how to change it at this point...)

    ReplyDelete